Thursday, July 30, 2009

"Take Joy" by Jane Yolen

This summer I had the privilege of reading Jane Yolen's book on writing, "Take Joy". In this short text she outlines the many reasons to write, the heartache that needs to be embraced and the reasons why writing only to publish will likely destroy your life (she uses softer words).

I walked away from this book recognizing the value of writing, revising and editing for my own sake; seeing myself as the primary audience. Too many drafts have been dispensed to the round garbage by my desk because "no one will really like it". There is a time for abandoning a work but it needs to be because my heart is no longer in it.

I recommend this book to anyone rethinking the writing process in their own life. If you are remembering stories you wrote in elementary school and thinking you might enjoy trying that again then please pick up a copy of "Take Joy". You will be encouraged and inspired to make writing a regular piece of who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment