Thursday, July 16, 2009

After the End:
Teaching and Learning
Creative Revision
Barry Lane
Chapter 9


One of the most freeing chapters I have read yet! I was finally given permission to not brainstorm, free write, web, and scatter ideas on a sheet of paper. I have been plagued with these techniques for years and I find them so inhibiting. I cannot find my passion until I start writing. Every time I go back and manipulate, change, delete and chop up my original draft but I need that space to write in full sentences. I need the feeling of crafting something in order to feel the value of what I am crafting.

Unfortunately this leaves me in a predicament with my teaching methods. As much as I hate brainstorm in a traditional sense, I love teaching it! I have young students who struggle getting ideas out and who have developed the skill of the blank stare even before I get them to my class. Brainstorming allows them a chance to spit out and share ideas as a whole group and it allows me a chance to see into their brains and know where to pull, pry and question.

I will be reflecting on ways to continue using webs and charts but to not corner my students into that as an ONLY way to begin writing.

4 comments:

  1. It's a difficult balance for me regarding teaching specific, discreet skills while not beating the creativity out of my students. I think so much depends on the culture of the classroom, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of the kids I teach feel the same way that you do about free/prewriting. I like the quote:

    My wastepaper basket is on a steady diet.

    and

    I work for four hours a day. If I sit there and stare at the page, that's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been such a control freak! I am almost ashamed to admit that I have insisted on the web or outline style of brainstorming. When a kiddo asks me if she can just start writing, I blanch, become visibly shaken and can barely rasp out an, "Are you kidding me, what are you, crazy?" On the sly I will allow truly reluctant writers to use this, but it is always somewhat of a covert operation that I don't want everyone in the room to know about. Barry Lane and others have shown me that this is more than OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually been freed from having to find form for jotting ideas. Marti made me see that I can just list them to begin with, that I don't even have to identify their relationship to one another.

    ReplyDelete