Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Britton

Now That You
Go To School
By: James N. Britton

Using the visuals given to us by the facilitators at the NIWP I have put a metaphor in my mind of the concept that Britton addresses in this article. I consider the idea of moving from expressive to transitional or poetic much like a balance or scale. All thought and expression originates from expressive (which is of course neutral on the scale). Then according the weights I put in as a teacher or the weights put in by the demands of a particular need for writing, the scales tip in a given direction. This helped me feel like I could focus my instruction more clearly.

2 comments:

  1. i am so concrete: can you give me some examples of what you are thinking here? what sort of assignments would you consider to be your "big" weights? "little" weights? Is there a progression to the type of assignments you'd give?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am comparing the weights to mini-lessons or purpose. If I wanted my students to focus more on the friendly letter then my mini lesson might be on heading or a focused direction. This would tip my scale more in the direction of transactional writing. I use the word purpose to imply student driven writing. A student who is writing a love letter will naturally tip to the side of prose.

    ReplyDelete