Thursday, July 16, 2009



In struggling to find my "voice" or poetic rhythm I have discovered that the words which come so readily to my peers, elude me. Words do not rush like a waterfall from my brain to my pencil. In fact, I suspect they run around playing hide and seek when I need them most. I can even hear those impish thoughts giggling as I trip past the trunk or curtain they hide behind. Unfortunately, these are not my words to govern and so I hope that a few will tiptoe out and have pity on my misfortune and obvious lack of aptitude.

All these tangled thought are really to describe not what I can't do, but to clarify what I found out I can do. I see my compatriots flush with excitement as they enjoy the roller-coaster of words flowing from our lessons. I however, am delighted by images that portray the same or different meanings. I am delighted by colors and lights and lack of those things. I am pleased by images that make me think of more than what I see. I have discovered the poet in me. She just doesn't know how to use words yet.

2 comments:

  1. I love to write to write songs, but I didn't really get started until I thought I had something to say--i.e., lived a little. But, it was actually a little white lie I told myself to keep from getting started. So, I can really relate to what you've said! I think you're a good writer, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha a little lie to keep yourself from getting started? I really think THAT should be in a song. I do that often with myself!!

    ReplyDelete